Friday, April 29, 2011

Getting More Out of the Internet

Portals are like layers of a sandwich with more and more information to enjoy.  Each layer offers something else and you can even customize portals just like you customize a sandwich.  Certain websites gear their portal content towards certain audiences.  These portals are referred to as industry portals.  An exercise based website might have portals containing information relative to personal trainers, healthy eating or athletic wear.  Check out http://www.health.com/health

Examples of portals offering a variety of information are Google and MSN.  The wealth of information can be mind boggling.  RSS feeds allow for headline stores to be streamed to you directly.  My husband has a few feeds on his cell phone with up to date weather, traffic and sport information.

Website with streaming media offer video and audio to enhance your viewing/listening experience.  WIVB-TV 4 Buffalo offers video streaming media covering headlining news, weather and topics of interest.  See for yourself at http://www.wivb.com/

The internet is ripe with researchable information.  Some sites are geared toward specific areas, such as law.  Some contain a multitude of information, such as encyclopedias.  Whatever the topic, you can research it on the web.  Even the more mature generation is getting on board with researching online.  Example - http://tiny.cc/uvhq4

Who doesn't love planning a trip?  I know I do. You can even plan road trips using websites geared toward doing so.  You can plan your trip from start to finish, including places you want to check out along the way and accommodations you'll need like restaurants, hotels and gas.  Check out http://www.roadtripamerica.com/  

Looking for something to do?  Search the internet for goings on in your area.  Check out http://www.visitbuffaloniagara.com/ for things to do in Buffalo, New York.  You'll find information about restaurant, sporting events and places to shop, just to name a few.  The next time you are planning for out of town visitors, give them this website.  They'll be glad you did.

The internet has saved me so much time when it comes to paying my bills.  Long gone are the days of writing out checks, envelopes and paying for postage to pay a bill.  I do it online.  This has also eliminated the paper bills I have sent to my home.  I do my banking online too.  I can move around funds, check for canceled checks and look for products and services my financial institution offers.  I can't remember the last time I stepped foot in my bank.  For those of you who are worried about paying bills online or doing your banking online, there are security measures in place to protect you.  You'll save yourself so much time.

The internet has changed training in the workplace too.  Online training can be done at your desk, without having to go to another facility or building.  Some training is real time wherein you join in a virtual classroom.  Some is available around the clock, not in real time.  There is no reason we all can't take advantage of the professional development opportunities in our workplaces.

Shopping online has also made things really convenient.  As a full-time employee and student, I don't have time to run to the stores to do my holiday shopping.  I'd say 99% of my holiday shopping is done online.  I  buy my wrapping papers and cards at the store.  The time, energy and money I've saved is astronomical.  Just learn how to price shop and look for online coupons and you really can save a bundle in money and time.  Check this out - the U.S. actually had a record-breaking online holiday shopping season in 2010.  Go to http://tiny.cc/4dupg for the numbers.  Even Santa is getting in on the online action! 

Did you know . . . there are websites to help you do comparison shopping.  Here's just one:  http://www.comparisonshopping.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment